Welcome to the Real Food Challenge Northwest Regional Page
Contact your Northwest Regional Field Organizers by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You can find their bios here.
Check out the Northwest region's blog here.
Like the Northwest Regional Facebook Page!
SUMMER TRAINING - NORTHWEST
This region includes: Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Alaska.
What: Real Food Challenge’s Northwest leadership training! We will discuss how to plan an effective campaign, work with dining services, and engage your fellow students.
- Start - 3:00pm on Thursday, August 23rd
- End - 3:00pm on Sunday August 26th
Why: Because with all that is going on around food issues today, as students we need to connect with each other and engage with organizing tools to effectively make change. This training will provide a unique opportunity for students to learn from one another and from experienced organizers working with RFC. This is also a great way for students to connect with the NW organizers who will be helping students in the northwest organize campaigns throughout the school year.
How: Register today! Don’t wait -- the training is limited to 25 students and spots fill up FAST!
The training will feature a wide range of workshops, activities and games, as well as plenty of time to eat, cook and hang out together. Here is a description of a few of the workshops of the weekend:
- Storytelling for Organizing - Why do you do what you do? Telling stories about the food system and about our own lives is one of the best ways to teach, inspire and connect with those around us. In this workshop you'll have a chance reflect on your own experiences as well as learn the basics of how to construct a powerful public narrative to share with others.
- Inside the Corporate Food Service Industry - Did you know that your campus cafeteria is likely connected to a multi-national, multi-billion dollar food service industry? Who really controls what food ends up on your plate? It's not as simple as you might think! In this workshop, we go behind the cafeteria counter to explore what's really going on in the kitchens, on the loading docks and in corporate board rooms of some of the largest companies in the world. Together we'll also explore the incredible power students have to change the system and promote a real food economy on campus and beyond!
- Recruitment and Retention on a Busy Campus - Whether you're just starting a student group or dealing with year-to-year turnover, knowing how to attract new members and keep them around is of critical importance. In this workshop we'll discuss some simple tools to keep you on track. You'll also learn about 'relational meetings' and strategies for connecting one-on-one with fellow group members for long term success.
STEP 1: Fill out the REGISTRATION FORM (below)
STEP 2: Use Paypal to PAY ONLINE
Northwest Leadership Training Conference
Seattle, WA • January 22 , 2011
Eastern Washington Weekend Training
November 20-21, 2010, Spokane, WA
Northwest Real Food Convergence: Cross-Pollinating Ideas & Action
Place: Missoula, MT
Date: February 12-14, 2010
Northwest Real Food Summit
March 19-21,2009 Portland, OR
The Real Food revolution is heating up the Northwest this March—watch out! We will be hosting our summit in conjunction with the 4th Annual National Farm to Cafeteria Conference. Join us in solidarity for four days of youth empowerment, solutions-based workshops, and action. Our rockin' youth delegation will meet with allies including farmers, public health advocates, policy-makers, food service providers, farmworkers, and community activists to discuss our collective work towards a just and sustainable food system. We will have student-run skills trainings, hands-on learning opportunities, delicious food (of course!), and more. Expect to leave with a support network, new friends, leadership skills, and an action plan.