By signing the Real Food Campus Commitment, schools commit to buying at least 20% Real Food annually by 2020 and thereby use their tremendous purchasing power to support a food system that strengthens local economies, respects human rights, and ensures ecological sustainability.
To get their school signed on, most students must build a campaign to gain additional student and faculty support to urge their president to sign the Commitment on behalf of their campus.
In addition to vowing to buy 20% Real Food by 2020, campuses that sign onto the Campus Commitment also pledge to:
- Create a Food Systems Working Group of students, staff, faculty, food service managers and workers, and other relevant stakeholders and to create a Multi-Year Action Plan;
- Run the Real Food Calculator yearly to track their progress and report their results in an Annual Progress Report; and
- Increase awareness about food systems on campus.
The full text of the Campus Commitment can be found here.
Please email us at email@example.com with any questions.
Real Food Campus Commitment Endorsers
Leaders and organizations from across the Real Food, fair trade, labor justice, and environmental movements have endorsed the Real Food Campus Commitment and declared their belief that all schools should formally commit to Real Food:
“The GET REAL! Campaign is a brilliant and long overdue effort. Count us in!” - Oran Hesterman, Fair Food Network
"There's a lot of talk about getting real food on college campuses – it's time that schools start backing up their talk with specific commitments to take action and begin moving their purchasing dollars." - Yoni Landau, Cooperative Food Empowerment Directive
- California Climate and Agriculture Network
- Community Alliance for Global Justice
- Cooperative Food Empowerment Directive (CoFed)
- CS Mott Group for Sustainable Food Systems
- Equal Exchange
- Fair Food Network
- Green America
- Humane Society of the United States
- Johnson County Local Food Alliance (Iowa City, IA)
- Northeast Sustainable Agriculture Working Group (NESAWG)
- Northwest Agriculture Business Center
- Red Tomato
- Roots of Change
- Sierra Student Coalition
- Student/Farmworker Alliance
- UNITE Here!
- Vermont Secretary of Agriculture Chuck Ross